UK Imaging Informatics Group
IHE and Contracts PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > News & Comment > Connecting for Health Programme >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:41 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
IHE and end-users
IHE is a global initiative. It is about
1.seamless information flow in a multi-vendor environment
2.Integration using vendor neutral interfaces (avoiding the need for expensive specific vendor based interfaces in future.)
3.guaranteed integration
4.future-proofing of investment on equipment/RIS/PACS
5.Improve efficiency and effectiveness of clinical practice

Why do we need IHE?
One does not need IHE if a single vendor was to supply PAS, PACS, RIS, All Modalities (CR/DR, CT, MRI, NM, US etc). However, even in the NPFIT monopoly environment, one does have to work with multiple vendors. Hence, even with NPFIT we need to have IHE. (In addition multi-vendor environment working does bring in healthy competition and R&D). You can get all of this without IHE by specifying clearly at each step what your integration need as an end-user is and these integrations/interfaces can be promised. However, vendors will only work on these interfaces once the contract is signed. However, once contract is signed there is no guarantee when or if this integration will happen (vendors could blame one another for lack of integration). These vendor specific integrations will be expensive in the long run. With IHE you are guaranteed this integration before you buy a system.

However, to get what you need in IHE, one needs to be clear on what profiles and what actors you need supported by each individual piece of equipment/system. It is no good saying we need IHE. Many of the profiles may not be relevant to us. Today it is impossible to find a single vendor who conforms to all IHE profiles and all actors. Many of the profile with actors may not be relevant to different systems/equipment.

In the PACS OBS vendors are only asked to produce IHE conformance statements. But they are not forced to comply. I have asked someone involved in writing of the PACS OBS- why in the OBS it was not clearly stated what actors and what Profiles are expected. I am told it is too late now. Contracts were being signed based on the OBS. The OBS is already 15 months old (contracts are not yet signed). By the time some of us get to NPFIT PACS implementation we may have an OBS which is 5-7 years old. Would any of us specify and pay for a PC for home use to be delivered 5-7 years later? That says it all I think. I was told that we could specify IHE as a local requirement. But then if the NPFIT PACS/RIS vendor does not comply with the Profiles/actors required then we donít have any other choice anyway (NPFIT PACS or no PACS as PACS is core).

I have put together some Local IHE requirements in a tabular form, specifying each component of PACS with the the relevant actors and profiles. I have been unable to upload this word document onto the web-site. I have sent this document to our RID.
 Link to this message Amit  posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:01 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Neelam,

Hi i found your article very interesting.Could you please email me the document you mentioned on the group site . You may email it at amit@etelinfotech.com .Alternatively you may call me at 07879471561.

kind regards/amit
 Link to this message Alex Anderson  posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:37 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Neelam

Your comments regarding IHE were very succinct, timely and valuable. I would appreciate a copy of your document if you could mail to me at alex@quadramed.com.au.

Regards Alex
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:06 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Will try to upload the document again. Please remember that this does not include all profiles and all actors. This has been drawn up by me for our local requirements. However, I hope this forum will help to highlight other actors/profiles that may be suitable to others.
application/mswordOur Local IHE Requirements
Our Local IHE Requirements.doc (65.5 k)
 Link to this message Antonio Antonini  posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:29 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
[Antonio Antonini] Dear Neelam, very interesting initiative. Can you send me the document via email (antonini@rell.com) or let us know how we can download it?
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:04 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Just click on my last post link reading'Our Local IHE Requirements'to open /download or save .

thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: